Sunday, January 27, 2008

WRITING EXERCISE #5

Oh my... I've missed a few days...and I feel awful about it but at the same time I've been busy doing other great things... so I don't feel too bad. LIFE just gets in the way sometimes and there aren't enough hours in a day to do it all. Lol.

OK so here's my 1FS for today: As I watch the rain fall from my window, a flood of memories rush through my mind and I remember.

PART I. BEGINNINGS
Chapter 5) PERSON, PLACE, AND SONG
At the outset of any writing class I always give an assignment. I don't want to see the stories that these writers have in their files--yet. I also don't want to start a class with them talking; they are without exception excellent talkers. They are experts. I want to use that expertise later. Right off, I want them to write. No fears, tears, theory, or clashing agendas. Just a little writing. I want themt to take the risk of writing something new--all of them on an equal footing.

The assignments I've been making have changed several times, but they're all essentially prompts, specific ways of starting. The most recent I simply call Person, Place, and Song. It comes from the second paragraph of Leonard Michael's story "Viva La Tropicana," which appeared in The Best American Short Stories 1991. The paragraph starts:

The first time I heard mambo, I was in a Chevy Bel Aire, driving from Manhattan to Brooklyn with Zev's son, my cousin Chester. We'd just graduated from high school and were going to a party. To save me the subway ride, Chester came to pick me up. He wore alligator shoes, like Zeb's dancing shoes, and a chain bracelet of heavy silver, with a name tag, on his left wrist. It was a high school fashion, like penny loafers and bobby socks. Chester had spent time in Cuba, but mainly he lived with his mother in Brooklyn and hardly ever saw his father. Uncle Zev, I believe, didn't love Chester too much, or not enough. This accounts for an eccentric showy element in his personality, which distinguished him in high school as a charming ass, irresponsible to girls, obnoxious to boys. As we drove, he flicked on the radio. The DJ, Symphony Sid, began talking to us, his voice full of knowing, in the manner of New York. He said we could catch Tito Puente this Wednesday at the Palladium, home of Latin music, 53rd and Broadway. Then Symphony Sid played a tune by Puente called "Ran Kan Kan."

This paragraph is rich with the specific data that offers clues and sets the tone for the rest of the piece. I could talk about it--all the work it does--for half an hour.

THE EXERCISE: Write a short piece of fiction--about a thousand words. It may be a complete short story and it may be the beginning of a longer piece. But it starts as follows:
The first time I (or Name) heard SPECIFIC SONG TITLE by SPECIFIC ARTIST OR GROUP, I (or Name) was down/up/over at PLACE and we were doing ACTION.

THE OBJECTIVE: To begin a story simply and specifically. Nothing grand, just close evidence that may lead somewhere. As I have said somewhere else, at greater length: solve your problems through physical detail.

MY EXERCISE: One of the first times I heard "God Be With You Til We Meet Again," was sung in church at my farewell service while I was at the front of the chapel and after I delivered my speech as a soon-to-be Missionary. The congregation sung and I listened attentively to the lyrics of the hymn and I felt instant warmth and love.

And, the first time I heard "God Be With You Til We Meet Again," being sung from a group of sister missionaries at the Mission Training Center (MTC) in Salt Lake City, I was in my dorm room and realized there was a large number of women in the hallway singing and crying. At night, whenever a missionary or group of missionaries were leaving the next morning, there would be a group formed and the singing would begin.

One night, I was curious and brought my hymnal with me and joined the singing group. It was fun to see the involvement singing brought to all the women in the dorm. Tears would stream down a few cheeks and the singing never stopped. There was a bond formed and many friendships developed over the time spent at the MTC and knowing that a few new friends would be leaving the next day and may or may not seen again... was kinda sad. And yet it was exciting because we knew the adventures would begin immediately. Life changes would occur. Testimonies would build and become even stronger. Experiences would double faith and bring one closer to God.

Sister Nelson, Sister Kenworthy and I were getting ready for bed in our dorm room and we were quite nervous and excited about what the morning would bring as it was our last night there at the MTC. When all of a sudden, those singing voices would begin outside our door. It was our turn the song would be sung for us. And my body produced so much energy listening to the song and the women singing, I joined in tune too and yet I was too choked up to sing all the words. I felt the spirit so strong, I knew I was where I was supposed to be and exactly at that moment. I felt connected with each and every one of these sisters and I didn't know them all. The women I shared a dorm room with became my best friends and indeed felt like sisters to me. We were in this together. The next morning our Mission would begin.

All sorts of emotions and thoughts were battling throughout my mind and body. I was a bit fearful of the unknown and travelling out of state was a first for me to do alone. I had no idea what I was really getting into and what the future would bring. I calmed my thoughts and my soul by once again thinking of the song that was sung with all the sisters and the unity that existed. I didn't feel so alone when I re-envisioned the experience in that hallway dorm... each night I was there for three weeks. That song had become a memory for me. One in which I'll never forget. And knowing that I had been blessed with that song of praise for God and prayer that God will be with me, I didn't feel so alone.

Anytime on my mission, and I heard that song or sung it, my heart would warm and melt. I felt love and peace.

When I returned from my mission a year and a half later, and the first time in worship service in which it was my Homecoming service for family and friends to attend as well. After I delivered my return missionary speech, the congregation sang another most endearing and beautiful song I have come to feel so familiar with and have great love for as much as the first song..."Well Done Thou Good And Faithful Servant." I felt so humble and so in touch with the spirit that day. The realization that my Mission at least for the church at that time was fulfilled and complete. However, I do feel that my mission in life is only beginning.

As I think of that amazing song, "God Be With You Until We Meet Again," I can't help but realize that this song not only represented my going out into the world as a full-time missionary and facing all sorts of events... but it also made me realize that this song is also a reminder of our days here on Earth and our mission here before we return to God and once again be with our loved ones.

An additional thought I had once when I returned home from my mission: for those of you who may believe in a pre-existence, it made me also wonder at one time, was this song also sung to all before leaving Heaven and in preparation for our journey here? Hmmm...I wonder.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You know I am pretty much an athiest, but this is good stuff.

Christy said...

Thanks cuz. Yah I feel torn at times. I haven't been to LDS church in (I don't even know, gotta think..)..ummm, at least two years now or so not counting an occasional visit (maybe two total). I don't have any intention of going back. It's just not for me. I tried to do it, wanted to please family etc, and I just can't do it anymore. I really dislike being untrue to myself and my feelings and who I am. So I finally decided it's not for me.

I've been going to church with Tony last summer before his bone marrow transplant etc. He's Lutheran (WELS- Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod or something like that) I don't remember exactly. And I enjoy going with him, but I've even mentioned to him that I don't like the distance drive to the church. So he found one closer to me and we're going to go together either this Sunday or the following one.

We've both been having a hard time waking early and the time of worship is kinda early for us. So we're playing it by ear for this Sunday. Whoever wakes first calls the other etc. LOL.

Because he had his thyroid partially removed he's discovering all sorts of issues, and sleeping too much is one them.

Because I work late and don't get home until 11pm, I'm up waaaaay late and can't get to sleep... so I sleep in all the time.

Needless to say, we'll make it one of these times. I've had numerous lengthy religious discussions with Tony and I find it all fascinating as it's so different from what I know growing up LDS. There is a lot of it I like, and a lot I still need to learn. I'm going to start taking some bible classes or something at his church. We'll see how it goes.

I am definitely more of a spiritual person than a religious sort - so I totally support anyone's beliefs and respect them. I love learning what other beliefs are out there...as I find it all intriguing. So just know that I will never preach anything to you or anyone. No matter if I do join a new/different religion...it's not me and I won't do it. I do however, like to have spiritual connections with people and love discussing all sorts of topics.

So I've told him I don't want to commit to any church really. That I just can't handle any demands from any religion right now. And yet the more I discuss it with him, he makes it sound wonderful. So I'll keep you posted. :)